Posted by : ENCUnited Tuesday, June 11, 2013


I asked each of the juniors/seniors to write a note to everyone regarding the 2013 season. Here are senior Nate Weflen's thoughts. Thanks Nate.
Coach Bell





Since I got your email about sending you some thoughts on the blog, I've been thinking about what I would say. I've talked to you a little about this before -- but I think the thing that made our team so successful last year was the understanding of roles that eveyone had. The senior class was not perfect, but they each knew their role on the team and pursued their role enthusiastically. 
I think that this year we need to have a balance of looking at the seniors example, and defining our own identity as a team.  Everyone on our team should know what role they play, how it positively affects the team, and be the best teammate in that role they can possibly be. We obviously are not going to have a Trevor as a spiritual leader or a Kyle as a vocal leader or Isaac as a leader by example -- but we need to find our role and pursue it on our team. That will help our team to find its identity.
The greatest example of this I can think of was Crooks. Brett was not the best Soccer player -- but he understood his role. For 3 years he knew his role and still bought into the team's vision. In his last year he started and was a major part of the starting 11. When he played he never tried to do too much just did his job and that is why he did so well. 

So there's my two cents -- I think that developing your individual role is important. That is not to say that if you're not the best player or not currently a leader that your role has to be someone who does not lead. If a guy wants to play or lead the team in a different way I would encourage him to pursue that wholeheartedly and passionately. But the problem and I know this first hand because this was me in my first year and-a-half at CU --- when you dont have the role you want, it is easy to shut off and disconnect from the team. But that is why it is important to be like Crooks -- stay connected - pursue excellence - be content - and seek the role that best serves the team.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Welcome to My Blog

Popular Post

Blogger templates

- Copyright © Kopion 2016 -Robotic Notes- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -